Friday, August 7, 2020

A pep talk with your body

As published in Adyar Times July 25 - 31, 2020 Edition

When the lockdowns began in March, the public hadn’t got used to wearing the mask. Well, neither did I.

One day, in a hurry to stock up groceries, I realised that I had forgotten to wear a mask just as I was entering the supermarket. Since I was anyway at the supermarket’s doorstep, I promised myself not to breathe much or touch anywhere unnecessarily while I quickly picked up the groceries.

Unfortunately for me, my conscious mind was panicking. While in the middle of the shop, my throat felt itchy and i think it ached a bit as well. As I moved to the next aisle of soaps and detergents, though fragrant, my nose felt itchy too. I wanted to so badly sneeze. But Noooo!!! This is such a wrong time and place to sneeze! This was no place to breathe and relax as well, remember I had promised not to breathe much. I grabbed what I could find first and hurried to stand at the serpentine line to the billing counter.

The whole time I kept rubbing my nose and pursed my lips further. As my turn came, I simply nodded my head for queries, paid online and rushed out of the shop. Once outside, I left out a sigh, took a deep breath and made sure to leave the place ASAP.

This was a lesson for me and I never forgot a mask henceforth. But the more important lesson for me was that I forgot to talk to my body not to panic. Anytime when we are in fear, the body reacts in just the way that we don’t want it to. 

Owing to my profession, I had decided to voluntarily take a COVID test, for safety and also encouraged my better half to do so. Within an hour, he asked me to check him. He felt feverish. On taking the temperature, it was 97.3. We cheered him up and went on with our chores. But after another half an hour, he came and said that he is probably feeling an ache in his throat. 

I knew that his body was panicking and so asked him to talk to his body. Funny as it sounds, it actually does wonders. As I prompted, he repeated in disbelief and laughing, “Hey throat, you better not mess with me. I am absolutely alright, so don’t try to fool me and make me feel sick! And hey body, this warning is for you too!” Lo and behold, the feeling of pain vanished in no time.

Talking to the body has worked wonders for me - I have been able to get up early on days when needed, resolve digestive issues or even control food cravings.

In this year of Corona, let not fear overpower you. Anytime you aren’t feeling in the pink of health, try giving yourself a pep talk and see how well your body responds.

Just give a little attention to your body and feel it winking and smiling back at you. Afterall, your body is your best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment